Finding the perfect song for the first dance at your wedding
If you need a little help picking out your first dance song, here is one exercise I recommend to my clients.
Think about the special moments in your relationship. Was there a song playing in the background? Was there a song playing on the radio? What was the first song on the mix CD he made you -- or Spotify playlist he sent you?
Is there a particular memory that helps recollect a song?
After thinking through all that, if you still need help, then keep reading.
Below is a list of many of the first dance songs I have played over the years at various weddings. Keep in mind, this is an important part of the wedding reception. It’s the one time, everyone you have invited to your wedding is in the room. Its right at the beginning, just after the grand entrance and before dinner. So everyone is there and it’s a magic moment
Here's a collection of some of the songs I've played for the first dance:
- Andrea Bocelli - Besame Mucho
- Angels and Airwaves - Breathe
- Beach Boys - Forever
- Beatles - In My Life
- Ben Harper/Michael Buble - Forever/Hold On
- Beyonce - At Last
- Bon Jovi - Thank You for Loving Me
- Brian McKnight - The Only One for Me
- Carlos Gardel - Por una Cabeza (True Lies Tango)
- George Strait - Cross My Heart
- Goo Goo Dolls - Come To Me
- Jack Johnson - Better Together
- Jimmy Eat World - For Me This is Heaven
- John Legend & Meghan Trainor - Like I'm Gonna Lose You
- Josh Turner - Why Don’t We Just Dance
- Katie Melua - Just Like Heaven
- Keith Urban - Only You Can Love Me This Way
- Michael Buble - Everything
- Paper Tongues - Love Like You
- Quiet Storm - Smokey Robinson
- Sade - By Your Side
- Shania Twain - From This Moment
- Tim McMorris - Overwhelmed
- Train - Marry Me
- Van Morrison - Have I Told You Lately
- Van Morrison - Someone Like You
Each year Mobile Beat Magazine releases a comprehensive list of popular songs that are being played at weddings throughout the United States. Here is a copy of that guide for you to download for free.
And here are some links to some wedding websites with their own First Dance suggestions:
- Buzzfeed: 31 Wedding First Dance Songs That Will Melt Your Heart
- Brides: 64 Perfect Dance Songs
- Real Simple: 50 First Dance Songs That Won’t Leave a Single Eye Dry
- Martha Stewart Weddings: 71 First Dance Songs from Real Weddings
Other Posts You May Be Interested In
Justin Kanoya is a wedding DJ based in San Diego. He has served as a DJ and host of more than 300 weddings over the past decade and is a recommended vendor at some of San Diego's finest wedding venues, including the Hotel del Coronado and the Lodge at Torrey Pines.