Make the closing moments of your wedding reception memorable with one great final song
I always believe couples will remember two things from their reception:
- The moment they see their reception room for the first time. All of the visions, ideas, Pintrest board pins, have come to life and it’s better than they imagined.
- And the final moments with friends and family … the last dance.
I take a lot of pride in building up energy and emotion leading up to the last dance. Since it’s the final moments of an emotional day, a day that has been a long time coming, I feel as the DJ I owe one last amazing moment to the couple and their guests.
In my mind, that means the last dance needs to be soundtracked by a fun, upbeat and familiar song to everyone. Think about a concert you’ve been to. The artist always keeps their biggest and most popular hits for the end. This isn’t the time to break out new material.
It’s also not the time for sappy and sentimental, unless the moment calls for it. And that is going to be a very rare instance.
Here’s a look at the last dance songs I have played.
- Aerosmith - Angel
- Edwin McCain - I’ll Be
- Michael Jackson - Thriller
- Bill Medley/Jennifer Warnes - I’ve Had the Time of My Life
- Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer
- Clean Bandit f./Jess Glynne - Rather Be
- Donna Summer - Last Dance
- Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
- Enrique Iglesias, Jr. - Escape
- Jason Mraz - I’m Yours
- Jay Sean - Do You Remember
- Journey - Don’t Stop Believing
- Lady Gaga - The Edge of Glory
- Lady Gaga - You and I
- Maroon 5 - Sunday Morning
- Michael Buble - Everything
- Omi - Cheerleader
- Sara Bareilles - Many the Miles
- Train - Hey Soul Sister
- UB40 - Can’t Help Falling in Love
- Walk The Moon - Shut Up And Dance
Each year Mobile Beat Magazine releases a comprehensive list of popular songs that are being played at weddings throughout the United States. Here is a copy of that guide for you to download for free.
And here is a collection of last dance song lists from various websites:
- The Knot: 47 Upbeat Last Dance Wedding Songs
- Ron Ruth Wedding Entertainment: Top 50 Most Requested Wedding Last Dance Songs
- Bridal Musings: Go Out With A Bang: The Best Finale Songs For Your Wedding
- Brides: The Perfect Playlist For Your Wedding’s Last Song
Other Posts You May Be Interested In
Justin Kanoya is a wedding DJ based in San Diego. He has served as a DJ and host of more than 300 weddings over the past decade and is a recommended vendor at some of San Diego's finest wedding venues, including the Hotel del Coronado and the Lodge at Torrey Pines.