Fitbit released a new wearable fitness device on February 2, 2016 and it is called Fitbit Alta. I was on hand for its unveiling to journalists that cover the tech, fitness and fashion industries.
The launch event took place in New York City at the Trump Hotel in Soho. My role was to DJ two 30-minute workout sessions, because why else would you unveil a fitness tracker to a group of gadget writers and not have them use it right away.
Celebrity fitness trainer Harley Pasternak and stylist to the stars Anita Patrickson were on hand to help introduce the new device, a slim, sleek fitness wristband that can be personalized to fit your style. It is designed with a satin finish, stainless steel body and features a line of interchangeable bands in multiple colors and premium materials.
After getting styled by Anita in a new workout outfit, the guests were brought into the SoHi room, a space high above the city that has an amazing views of Manhattan and New Jersey. Harley then ran them through an intense workout that included, squat jumps, shadow boxing, core work and some weight training.
You can find the full workout to do at home on Fitbit's blog.
As per Harley's request, I put together a set of current, mainstream hip hop with a New York/East Coast flavor. I even made sure to put in some old school Big Daddy Kane, but am now regretting that I didn’t play any Beastie Boys. Oh well, I’ll save it for the next time I’m back in the city.
Here’s the short and sweet setlist:
- Chris Brown f./Tyga - Ayo (Promo Only Quick Edit)
- Rihanna - B***h Better Have My Money
- Drake - Hotline Bling (Promo Only Verified Intro Edit)
- Jay Z ft. Kanye West - N***** In Paris
- Rae Sremmurd f./Nicki Minaj & Young Thug - Throw Sum Mo
- Fetty Wap - Trap Queen (Promo Only Clean Edit)
- iHeartMemphis - Hit The Quan
- Wiz Khalifa f./Iggy Azalea - Go Hard Or Go Home (Promo Only Clean Edit)
- Fabolous f./Nicki Minaj & Trey Songz - Doin' It Well (Promo Only Quick Edit)
- T.I. f./Iggy Azalea - No Mediocre (Promo Only Quick Edit)
- Jay Z and Kanye West - Otis (Kingz Klub Ready Redrum)
- Big Daddy Kane - Ain't No Half Steppin' (Select Mix Remix)
- Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On (Mayeda Remix)
- Nicki Minaj ft Drake - Truffle Butter (Jester Remix)
- Mase - Feel So Good
All photos courtesy of Getty Images for Fitbit.
Lastly, here are some initial articles on the device, a few of which are written by the guests that were in attendance.
Women's Running: Fitbit's New Tracker is Seriously Gorgeous
Forbes: Fitbit's New Tracker Adds A Splash Of Style
CNET: Fitbit's newest band, Alta, is totally aimed at fashion
Wired: The Alta is a Fitbit for People Who Think Fitbits are Uggo