I recently had my first DJ session at Pacific Beach CorePower Yoga. And this inaugural session, during a regularly scheduled yoga class in a yoga studio was special.
I've DJ'd a handful of yoga sessions, mostly for large crowds in big event venues, but on this night it was unlike any other.
The instructor, Katie Burke, themes her classes each week. Since we were in the shadows of the worst mass shooting in U.S. history, Katie themed the week “Love Over Fear.”
Toward the end of the flow, she began to read the names of some of the Pulse nightclub victims. I didn't know she was going to do that and slowly faded out the song that was playing and brought in "No Woman No Cry."
We ended class by joining hands and singing along to Whitney Houston’s “My Love Is Your Love.”
Life brings unscripted moments that turn into magic. And we are lucky to be alive to allow ourselves to be a part of such moments.
Here's a look at the setlist for the night:
- Sunlounger - Spiritual Hideout (Chill Version)
- John Judd - Serenity (Original Mix)
- Dan Lacob - Electra Yoga Groove
- Andra Day - Rise Up
- Ready For The World - Love You Down
- Yuna ft Usher - Crush (Clean)
- Paula Cole - Feeling Love
- Ed Sheeran - I See Fire
- Chainsmokers, Ashanti - Only U vs Roses (J. Espinosa Jumpoff Edit)
- Mariah Carey - We Belong Together
- Janet Jackson - That’s The Way Love Goes
- Jason Mraz - You and I Both (Acoustic)
- Jack Johnson - Imagine
- Robert E Cole - Walking in Heaven (Original Mix)
- Fugees - No Woman No Cry
- Julian Scott - Fragments (Original Mix)
- Whitney Houston - My Love Is Your Love